Monday 9 February 2015

Hey fellow food lovers!

Dinner was at Islam Food in Kowloon City. If I'm not mistaken, Kowloon City is famous for its Walled City, Thai food and Islam food! This restaurant is Halal, which means no pork, and is also Halal certified, so Muslims and non-pork eaters can happily enjoy their food. This restaurant has been one of the better places for Halal food in Hong Kong, and due to the large crowds and increasing popularity of this restaurant, the owner has opened two restaurants in Kowloon City, each store being 2 streets away from each other.

Review:

This is the hot & sour soup, which I dare not drink. According to my parents, the hot & sour soup is one of the best dishes in the restaurant. They love it so much that they order it each time they visit the restaurant. I tried it once, and boy did my tongue burn! Adding vinegar gives the soup an added kick, so be sure to try that if you ever drink this soup.

Hot & Sour Soup 酸辣湯
Next, we have the flour sheet soup with egg and beef! There isn't really an English name for this soup, so what was shown on the menu was a description of what ingredients were in the soup. This soup is actually one of my all-time favourites! Each time I come to this restaurant, I will definitely order this! It's very warm on a cold winter day, but during summer, you might start to sweat a little because the soup is served piping hot and fresh off the stove! The beef is very tender, the flour sheet is an interesting addition to the soup, vegetables are ample and the egg helps make the soup more tasty.

Flour Sheet in Soup with Beef, Egg and Vegetables 片兒湯
Close up of 片兒湯
If you're a fan of boiled dumplings, this is for you! I think there's 3 fillings that you can choose from: chicken, beef and mutton. My family always goes for the chicken and beef because the beef is famous in this restaurant, and chicken because my family just loves chicken. These are the dry dumplings, and they don't come with soup for you to dip in.

Chicken Boiled Dumplings 雞肉水餃
Beef Boiled Dumplings 牛肉水餃
This is the Shantung Chicken! Shantung Chicken is basically crispy skin chicken that has been twice cooked (boiled then deep-fried) and served in a classic Shandong dressing of black vinegar, chilli, soy sauce and coriander. My parents absolutely loved this dish, but my brother and I didn't find a big deal about it. If you're a lover of chicken, then I would say try this dish out; the sauce is an interesting mix and it really compliments the chicken well. Since I don't have a preference for chicken, I am unable to say if it really is that good or that bad. However, in my experience, it isn't anything special that will make me go, "Wow I must eat this again!"

Shantung Chicken 山東燒雞
Man, this is a really good dish, chinese pancake! A chinese pancake is usually made from dough, and it can be either sweet or salty. There are many types of chinese pancakes, but I think this is just the plain one with sesame seeds on it, with nothing inside. This chinese pancake is shaped like a pocket instead of a disc-shaped flatbread like you see in Chinese restaurants.

I highly recommend this dish, and it tastes its best when served hot, which means you must eat it immediately! Drop everything and eat this once it arrives! It's soft and crispy, and it's basically a "family classic" since we order it everytime without fail.

Chinese Pancake 叉子燒餅
Overall, this restaurant has left a good impression on me each and every time. Their quality and service never fails me and even their quanitity of food has not lessened each time. I highly recommend this place to you if you're looking for a Halal restaurant, or just interested in trying their famous dishes, such as the beef pie (牛肉餅).

Boiled Dumplings, Hot & Sour Soup, Long Beans 水餃,酸辣湯,豇豆
Price:
Depends on what you order, but the beef pies are 2 for $32HKD! So if you think that's cheap then go for it, if you think it's too expensive then the rest of the dishes probably are.

Ratings:
Taste: ★★★★
Value for Money: ★★★★★
Presentation: ★★★★
Environment: ★★★★☆
Overall: ★★★★☆

Address:
中文: 九龍城龍崗道1號
English: 1 Lung Kong Road, Kowloon City 

Tagged: , , , ,

1 comment: